Friday, February 3, 2012

the sound of silence.


Tonight I went with one of my roommates, Virg, to go see a movie at this trendy movie theatre called the Rialto.
We saw a...wait for it...a....Silent film! Yeah yeah you're probably thinking "Wow, that sounds like the most boring thing imaginable" but it was such a good experience! It is that new movie called The Artist and it was just so relaxing to just soak up the characters and their emotions just by watching them unfold in front of our eyes. I'm not going to lie. At first. I was a little...uncomfortable. When I truly realized that there was going to be absolutely NO words or speaking, I was praying that I could let go of any thoughts of giving up on the experience. And it was crazy because as the movie went on, it was like we didin't need sound and the absence of it was unnoticeable. There were a few in the crowd that would shuffle or awkwardly laugh at every moment when the music would stop and there would be silence but I think this movie taught me a valuable lesson. And that is to be comfortable with silence. It's okay to not experience every single emotion to the highest capacity at every moment of our crazy lives. The simplicity of this experience was so relaxing and...beautiful. I don't really know how to explain it. I guess you'll just have to see it to understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment