Thursday, March 28, 2013

kirstie comes to town.

If you really knew me, you would know I'm impossible to surprise. I've dated Keith for almost six years and I don't think he has ever been able to fully surprise me. It is probably more of my fault than his because I have a manipulative master mind that always tries to figure things out. 

Yesterday, one of my dear friends surprised me. And it was glorious. 
Kristin and I used to be teammates leading young life at Millbrook High School. She graduated from the great NC State last year and accepted an internship at a young life camp in Colorado for a year. I was/am SO happy for her because this is her life long dream, but she is and always will be like a sister to me and it breaks my heart that we don't get our 30 minute car rides every monday and thursday to millbrook young life events. Needless to say, I was OVERJOYED to see this girl and hold her in my arms! She is so wise and knows me so well. She has a way of always validating me and holding me accountable. She told me today that the next time she's coming home is in November, whichhhh, I don't know if I can make it that long without seeing her so I may have to make a trip to the old Colorado (Pronounced ColorAHdo). 

I was reading the good word today and came across a verse that I've read several times but haven't truly understood its meaning. 

"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me"
Luke 9:23

Keith LeGrone gave me a study bible for our anniversary last year and I read the note at the bottom that explains this verse. It says that when it tells us to deny ourselves it doesn't mean to deny certain things (keeping a list of do's and don'ts). Rather, it means we need to deny control of our lives and surrender it to our Lord who loves us. It means denying control. Remember that one time when I told you I was impossible to surprise? That comes from a desire to control. To desperately grasp onto this lie that I have sovereignty over what happens in my life. I am slowly learning to deny myself of this. 

Kirstie, I love you so much. You truly are my sister in Christ and have taught me so much about what it means to be a follower of Jesus. I love you so much and am praying for your exciting and adventurous life. Go wildcats. Your still number 2 on my favorites by the way. 

Also, Kristin entered the blog world! Read it because she is super wise and has an exciting life!

No comments:

Post a Comment