On the way to Jerusalem, he was passing along between Samaria and Galilee. And as he entered the village, he was met by ten lepers, who stood at a distance and lifted up their voices saying, "Jesus, Master, Have mercy on us." When he saw them he said to them, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." And as they went they were cleansed. Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice, and he fell on his face at Jesus' feet, giving him thanks. Now he was a Samaritan. Then Jesus answered him, "Were not ten cleansed? Where are the nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" And he said to him, "Rise and go your way; your faith has made you well."
Luke 17:11-19
What a beautiful picture of thanksgiving. It started with the leper looking at his skin and realizing that he was healed. He was overwhelmed with all of the possibilities that lay ahead of him. He can now be a part of a community. He can touch and be touched. He is a man again, not a leper.
So often, I think we forget that we are healed. I know that Jesus paid the price for my healing and salvation on the cross, but when I look at my skin, I see diseased leprosy. I see the effects of sin and brokenness in my worry and anxiety. In my distrust that the Father loves me and is actively taking care of me at all times. The first step towards having a heart of thanksgiving is realizing YOU ARE HEALED. You don't have leprosy anymore! You are not under the power of sin and darkness. You live by faith in the light and love of Jesus. Any feelings or thoughts of the alternative is from the enemy. Know you are healed. You are whole. You are redeemed. You are restored. You are able to live life in the way it was designed to be lived; with the loving Father.
Upon realizing he is healed, he turns around. I imagine that he is sprinting as fast as he can towards the Healer. He is screaming at the top of his lungs praises to Jesus, declaring him King and Lord of all. There is nothing he can't do. There is no sickness he can't heal. No broken bone he can't mend. No trial he can't redeem. He is the Messiah, who comes to take away the sin of the world! To bear the burden of sin, so we may experience joy and life. Once he finally makes it to Jesus, he falls flat on his face. At the feet of Jesus. What a beautiful posture to have before our creator. He is overwhelmed with joy and thanksgiving and lays it at the feet of Jesus. How we can learn from this posture! I think the best thing about it is that he falls on his face in joy. When I fall on my face it is normally out of fear or frustration. In ALL things, good and bad, we have the same posture towards the Father. Worship and submission.
I am so convicted by this passage because I am one of the nine. I receive gifts upon gifts, but keep walking in the direction I'm going, looking to the next big thing that I need the Lord to meet me with. As we approach thanksgiving, I want to be the one that turns around. That sprints to the feet of Jesus, my Healer. I want to fall at his feet worshiping him with a loud voice and give him thanks for his goodness and steadfastness.
Who's with me?
No comments:
Post a Comment