The past few weeks in Houston have been gloomy, cold, and rainy. I don't want to go as far to say that I have been emotionally gloomy, but let's just say it was a bit of an adjustment to come back after being home for 2 weeks and then being in paradise with Keith for almost a week.
Things have been slow. If you know me, you know that I don't do the best in slow situations. I also don't do well in too fast situations either. The Lord is revealing to me my need to be okay in fast and slow. That if I build my happiness on the very specific and perfect scenario where I will be the most emotional and spiritually stable, I will not be a happy person. I don't even know if this specific and perfect scenario even exists. This has been a harsh reality to learn about myself. I've learned that I need to not build my happiness on my circumstance. It sounds so simple, but my stupid brain and heart refuse to learn it. But I'm trying. And slowly but surely, I'm changing. He's changing me. Changing me for good.
The reason I bring this up is that this past weekend, I think that the Lord used the weather to foreshadow a turning point in my emotional and spiritual state. (Geez Louise, was I a Math teacher or an English teacher?) Not that my circumstance is going to change, but my perspective and attitude towards it will change for the better.
Keith and I live in an area close to what is called the Medical Center. 99% of the people that live here are in the medical field. It's always pretty funny because when people find out where we live they almost always immediately ask if we're in medicine. When they find out that Keith works for Exxon and mostly offices at their downtown location, they always look a little confused.
"Then why do you live where you do?"
I always answer, "We just really liked the trees."
They normally laugh and think it's a joke, but if I'm being honest, it's not. In moving to Houston, we wanted to feel like we were living in a safe area and more importantly, like it was a home. Where we're from, home means trees. Lots of them. We're from a town called Greensboro for crying out loud (named after the trees and not Nathaneal Greene, of course). And when the weather is just right and we can walk around the neighborhoods around our apartment, I get a slight butterfly feeling in my stomach that says...
"This place isn't so bad. Hell, maybe-even-in-a-million-years-I-might-be-able-to-consider-this-town-home."
Don't worry. I'm not there yet. But when I get glimpses of this hopeful feeling, I try to hold on for dear life.
Keith and I did a lot of fun exploring this past weekend. More on that later.
Happy Tuesday, Brave Friends!

No comments:
Post a Comment