Literally one of my favorite movies. I forgot how much I loved it until I randomly decided to watch it tonight. I remember when Keith first introduced me to it (which earned him crazy trendy points) I watched it so many times that I developed a thesis of some sort about what the movie really means and what the journey of Verona and Burt represents. Since it’s been so long since I’ve watched it, I had to rediscover my initial deep thoughts. So here I go…
This movie is about the fact that this world doesn’t make sense. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and sometimes good things happen to bad people and it’s just not fair. It doesn’t make sense. But all we can do is, as Burt so elegantly says, “ride it out.” Verona says:
“All we can do is be good for this one baby. We don’t have control of anything else”
So that is the true heart of this movie. Love wins. Even among unfortunate circumstances, a family full of love and grace and truth is going to have the joyous life that so many of us are after. It’s my own personal belief that this love, grace, and truth can only come from Jesus. But that’s just me trying to christianize stuff 
Also one of my favorite inappropriate lines in this movie is when Verona is feeling insecure about being huge and pregnant and Burt tells her how beautiful she is and says:
“Verona, I will always love you. Even if you’re enormous. Even if you gain weight after the baby! I will love you even if your so huge, that I can’t find your vagina. Yeah, you can go ahead and write that in stone. I will always love you, even if I can’t find your vagina!”
Sorry for the inappropriateness!

No comments:
Post a Comment