Saturday, April 20, 2013

elizabethtown.

I watched a fantastic movie tonight. Elizabethtown. It had all the elements that make a movie great. Awesome soundtrack. Depth. Laughter. I loved it. I still don't feel like I understand it completely but here is a clip from the movie that I love. (Background: Orlando Bloom got fired from a big time job because he lost the company almost 1 billion dollars. After getting fired he finds out his dad died. This scene is where he is telling his huge failure to the girl he really cares about. This is her response).

"You want to be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling. That's true greatness to me." I am very familiar with failure. In the teaching world, no lesson can go without a teensy bit of failure. Some lessons have tons of failure. For instance, on Wednesday. I lost it. I lost it big time with one of my classes. It was like word vomit and I couldn't stop yelling at them. I felt so ashamed and terrible afterwards. Like a failure without redemption. I was almost afraid to see them the next day. But I decided to put a smile on my face and start out class by telling them that I love them. Really love them. And this made all that shame and failure fade away. Some kids were still cold and rude to me and really, that's okay. I'm learning you can never make everyone happy. The only way to redeem failure is to face it head on with a smile. A smile that exudes love and joy.

If you've never seen this movie, stop what you're doing right now and watch it. (Did I mention it has an incredible soundtrack?)

 Happy saturday homies.

No comments:

Post a Comment